Monday, January 4, 2010

2010!!!! Believe it!

Good Morning and welcome to the year 2010. I hope your winter break was one of relaxation and rejuvenation. Mine was spent healing from an injury (more on that later).
As we begin a new block, a few things are needed to successfully navigate our new waters. My schedule will be the following:
1st United States Government
2nd American History
3rd United States Government
4th American History

I will not be teaching the fitness strategies class this block. I had a fantastic time daily with the students and was able to get myself into basic shape. However, over the break, I injured my left knee in a freak accident on my new 'land paddle'. Just like Ralphie in A Christmas Story, I was so excited for my land paddle gear to arrive. I was giddy like a little kid the entire day it was supposed to arrive. When it did, I tore the box open and went into my neighborhood. I was having an epic time. I was land surfing just like the guys on YouTube were. I came inside, took a short break and then went back outside for another session. As I came to the cul-de-sac of my neighborhood, I began a simple left turn to head back home. As I leaned back, I felt the board take off from under my feet. I used the big stick (the paddle) to turn and balance and then used my left leg to brace. At this instant I felt a 'pop' and an instant rush of pain to my left knee.
I hadn't had the new get up for more than an hour and I was already hurt. I had 'shot my eye out'! I was so angry at myself as I lay in the street like a sack of potatoes writhing in pain. I happened to make it to a neighbor's house and called my wife to come get me. Not only had I hurt myself, but I also put an end to our Christmas vacation plans as we knew it. I've been bed ridden ever since.
Had an MRI done and it confirmed that I had ruptured the patellar tendon in my left knee. The tendon was ripped from the bottom of my knee cap but was still attached to my shin. Dr. Ty Endean (the man!) was able to get me into surgery a week later and according to him, it was a routine operation.
I will have a scar to remind me that I'm no longer 18 (I turn 40 at the end of the month). I will also have a long rehabilitation ahead of me. There is no getting around it. It also differs for everyone who has this type of surgery. Some have long drawn out rehabs, where others are back at mostly full range of motion after 2-3 weeks. I believe mine will be a good one but it will not be as swift as others. However, I still think 18 and have the energy of someone younger than I. I just have to be patient and let my rehab routine take its course and pray for a healed body. Guess I have to start wearing shirts that say 'Old Guys Rule'.

No comments:

Post a Comment